The Metropolitan Opera Announces Chorus Auditions for the 2018–19 Season
The Metropolitan Opera Chorus and Extra Chorus offer unique and rewarding career opportunities for highly qualified performers. Classically trained professional singers who have been invited to audition should be prepared to sing two operatic arias in different languages from memory. Selections should demonstrate the applicant’s ability to sing lyrically. An accompanist will be provided.
All applicants will be considered for Full Time (Regular) and Extra Chorus positions.
Applicants shall submit via email addressed to ChorusAuditions@metopera.org the following materials:
- a cover letter requesting an audition; please indicate your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd audition session preference from the dates below; any union affiliation should be also be listed
- a current one-page resume, including a photo/head-shot
- an audio clip (MP3 file, no larger than 10 MB) of an operatic aria (no youtube clips or links)
- a list of no more than 5 operatic arias, two of which will be selected as your audition pieces
- PDF or JPEG copy of current documentation proving the ability to work in the United States.
Auditions will be granted by invitation only, and will be held at the following times:
Session #1 Tuesday, October 31st, 2017 1:45pm to 4:45pm
Session #2 Friday, November 3rd, 2017 2:45pm to 5:45pm
Session #3 Wednesday, November 15th, 2017 2:45pm to 5:45pm
Session #4 Friday, November 17th, 2017 2:45pm to 5:45pm
Applications must be received on or before 12 midnight EST, Friday, September 1st, 2017. Submissions received after this date, regardless of postmark or email transmission time, will not be considered.
Only applicants with current documentation proving the ability to work in the United States will be granted an audition.
Any singer who is offered employment and is not already a member of AGMA (American Guild of Musical Artists) will be required to join AGMA.
All applicants will be notified as to whether an audition has been granted. No audition comments will be shared with the applicant.
Similar information about the auditions may be found by contacting the following:
American Guild of Musical Artists
1430 Broadway 14th Floor
New York, NY 10018
The Metropolitan Opera
Donald Palumbo, Chorus Master
Steven Losito, Chorus Administrator
Daniel Hoy, Incoming Chorus Administrator effective July 31st, 2017
New York, NY 10023
The Metropolitan Opera is an Equal Opportunity Employer