- Associate Press Director
Associate Press Director
Department: Creative Content - Press
Available: March 2017
The Metropolitan Opera seeks an energetic and creative publicist to pitch a variety of stories around the company’s performances and related activities, with a particular emphasis on creating media opportunities for the company beyond the core classical music press. Key elements for success in the role will include a broad knowledge of current and emerging media spaces, both in New York and globally; excellent news judgment and storytelling ability; experience with and knowledge of both traditional press relationships and social media content; flexibility, drive, passion, and collegiality.
- Pitch stories about Met performances and related initiatives to a wide variety of print, digital, and broadcast outlets and social media channels, with a particular emphasis on non-traditional coverage beyond the core classical music media
- Work to raise awareness of a broad range of new and existing Met programs, including audience development initiatives and a growing national education program
- Arrange artist interviews in key US and international markets to promote 10 Live in HD movie theater transmissions each season
- Partner with outside PR agencies, personal publicists, and other entities to create collaborative communications strategies around the Met brand and specific performances and initiatives
- Work cross-departmentally across the Met to identify and promote exceptional behind-the-scenes stories from all areas of the company
Qualifications and Skill Requirements
- 5-7 years of public relations, media relations, or communications experience, ideally in a similar market space
- Knowledge of (or interest in) opera and the performing arts
- Bachelor’s degree, ideally in public relations, communications, or journalism
Please e-mail your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, including “Associate Press Director” in the subject line of your e-mail.
E-Mail (Preferred): email@example.com