The Production Department of The Metropolitan Opera is responsible for all production and technical details related to the development, creation, and performance of the opera repertory, the coordination of presentations and special events, the operation and maintenance of, as well as improvements to the Metropolitan Opera stage, shops, and warehouses.
The Assistant Technical Director provides direct support to the Technical Director with the management of the Production Engineering, Construction Shop and Scenery Shop operations and the development and documentation of technical details for the opera productions, insuring that the technical requirements of the opera productions, projects and special events are carried out as safely, efficiently, and effectively as possible.
- Under the direction of the Technical Director, plan and manage the Production Engineering, Construction Shop and Scenic Shop operations ensuring the scheduled delivery of scenery and props for all Metropolitan Opera projects, productions and special events within the approved budget.
- Collaborate in the coordination of technical details to insure safe, efficient and effective handling of productions in repertory.
- In collaboration with the Technical Assistants, draft and maintain the plans, sections and documentation associated with productions, projects and special events.
- Participate in the yearly budgeting process.
- Contribute to the upkeep of the Production Information Database by tracking revisions and changes to the repertory
- Attend assigned rehearsals.
- In collaboration with the Technical Director and the Safety Director, implement and monitor safety protocols, procedures and training programs for routine stage and shop operations as well as specific operations related to performance, e.g. aerial performances, special effects, work at height, etc.
- Prepare estimates, technical documentation and acting as Technical liaison for outside presentations, house rentals and outside special events as assigned.
- Act as project manager on selected projects as assigned.
- Attend regular Production Department coordination meetings and participates on committees as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skill Requirements
- A bachelor’s degree in Theater, Design, Engineering, Architecture, or equivalent professional experience is required.
- Basic knowledge and experience with all aspects of technical backstage operation is required.
- A solid fundamental knowledge of standard scenery construction, handling, and rigging methods as well as knowledge of standard theatrical lighting techniques is essential.
- Experience with standard technical and theatrical drafting procedures is required.
- An ability to clearly communicate technical and artistic concepts in writing is essential.
- Problem solving skills, including the ability to synthesize and evaluate solutions in three-dimensional space, are required.
- Interpersonal and communication skills are crucial, as well as the ability to work on a team in a fast-paced, detail-oriented workplace.
- Other useful skills include time and resource management, and the ability to multitask and prioritize.
- Computer literacy is essential, including MS Office applications and Adobe Photoshop and Acrobat.
- Computer Aided Drafting (Autodesk AutoCAD) experience is mandatory. Experience working in a 3D drafting environment is desirable. Understanding and exposure to various other CAD/CAM programs (Nemetschek Vectorworks, Bently Microstation) is also helpful.
- Knowledge of standard opera repertory is helpful.
Please e-mail your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, including “Assistant Technical Director" in the subject line of your e-mail.
E-Mail (Preferred): email@example.com