- Senior Press Manager
Senior Press Manager
Department: Marketing & Communications
The Metropolitan Opera seeks an energetic and creative publicist to place stories around the company’s performances and related activities, including creating media opportunities for the company beyond core classical music press. Key elements for success in the role will include a broad knowledge of current and emerging media spaces, both in New York and globally; excellent news judgment and storytelling ability; experience with and knowledge of both traditional press relationships and social media campaigns; flexibility, drive, passion, and collegiality. Experience and knowledge of opera and the performing arts is essential.
- Devise and implement comprehensive media campaigns and strategies, securing maximum coverage for Met performances and related initiatives in a wide variety of print, digital, and broadcast outlets and associated social media
- Draft, coordinate and distribute media releases and other communications for Met productions and initiatives
- Build and maintain excellent ongoing working relationships with journalists, critics, editors, bloggers and commentators across local, national and international media
- Liaise closely with external PR agencies, personal publicists, and other entities to create and leverage collaborative communications strategies around the Met brand and specific performances, artists and initiatives
- Work to raise awareness of a broad range of new and existing Met programs, including audience and artform development initiatives, a growing national education program, (eg. Rush tickets, “Fridays Under 40”), and the Lindemann Young Artist Development Program
- Identify and publicize stories related to adjunct Met activities including Gallery Met, Met Opera Shop, National Council Auditions, etc.
- Collaborate cross-departmentally to promote exceptional behind-the-scenes stories from all areas of the company
- Provide relevant and informed media-related advice to artists and staff at the Met
- Provide a general support role to, and deputize for, the Press Director and Communications Director as necessary
- Represent the Met before performances and at intermissions to provide media with information and answer questions (approximately one performance per week throughout the opera season)
- Contribute to the smooth operation of the Met press office including finding new opportunities for coverage, media monitoring, helping to maintain an extensive up-to-date contact database and providing industry-leading service to the media
Qualifications and Skill Requirements
- Minimum 8 years of public relations, media relations, communications or journalism experience, ideally in a similar market space
- Experience and knowledge of opera and the performing arts in the United States and international contexts is essential
- Excellent written skills and highly developed interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills
- Proven ability to work hands-on and under pressure to deliver multiple projects and initiatives simultaneously
- A developed network of media contacts across arts, entertainment and news media
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, including “Senior Press Manager” in the subject line of your e-mail.
E-Mail (Preferred): email@example.com